Wednesday, May 6, 2020

3 Go-to Spring Looks for Femmes



Hey Babes-


While we all are still practicing self isolation or quarantine in Canada, one of the things that's been keeping me happy is dressing up, even if the only place I'm going to is the kitchen (or if we're really wild, to the farmer's market).


I wanted to share 3 "femme" outfits that make me feel good in my skin and are compatible with the somewhat frigid east coast spring weather. Of course, femininity looks different on everyone, and ultimately fashion is about self expression so it's good to keep in mind that there's no right or wrong way to express your gender or sexuality through clothes. 


For me, feminine means picking form flattering silhouettes and wearing more traditionally feminine accessories such as hoop earrings or heels, but there's no reason why those can't be incorporated into a more androgynous outfit either. There are no rules to self expression!! And without further ado here's my first look!


Look 1: Retro Femme






For this first look I wanted to go for something that's easy to throw on with some of my closet staples : a white tee, light wash shorts and combat boots. High rise shorts and jeans are a must have for me because they're flattering on longer torsos and they give off a retro look.






This outfit is great for warmer spring days when you're moving around and just need a little bit more room to breathe. I like this look because it feels like something that's been in style for decades- I can picture this being rocked by a backup dancer in Grease. Overall it makes me feel pulled together, a little punk, and definitely good in my skin.



 



In order to personalize the look and/or make it give off more queer vibes, I'd recommend playing with accessories (and cuff those sleeves!!) When the color scheme of what you're wearing leans towards neutral, it's super easy to dress up your outfit with a bold lipstick, a headpiece, some chains, statement socks, a funky jacket... really whatever makes you feel like yourself! In honor of fashion queen Blair Waldorf I styled this outfit with a cheetah print headband to give more personality to the look.


Outfit links:





Tips for buying basics: I try to make sure the fabric is 95-100% cotton; this helps lengthen the life of the fabric. Zara and Topshop generally carry good denim for under 50$ and you can especially save if you look for clothes off-season (i.e., buying shorts in the winter).





Look 2: Oui can do it

That pun was terrible, but to be fair I've also been stuck in my house for 7 weeks. Come at me. This look is what I envision the WWII era lady factory workers would wear today if they were gay (they probably were) and had a thing for neutral color schemes.





Again I picked this outfit because it's more practical- I can move around in it and it keeps me warm in the godforsaken bitter Canadian spring without sacrificing looking cute.




Here's a cute pic of me thinking about what the hell I'm going to do with my French degree ๐Ÿ™ƒ




I like the cigarette cut of the pants because it gives it a retro vibe (there's clearly a theme here) that's perfect for mid-season. I think overalls are a really quirky piece that everyone should have in their wardrobe because they're like the gay version of a dress and make people question whether you went to art school or not. 

Outfit links:







Look 3: Princess goes to the market

This outfit is for all the femmes out there that don't care about looking queer or not; you just want to look like a princess. In this look I wanted to pair a statement silk skirt that I thrifted in the fall and haven't had a chance to wear yet with a denim blouse to create an ethereal and feminine look. Using contrasting fabrics is a really fun way to make a monochrome outfit more interesting by giving it texture. 






The fabric in this outfit covers most of the body so a good way to break it up is by pairing the maxi skirt with a cropped shirt in order to balance out the silhouette. 






The secret weapon of this outfit is even though it looks super dressed up, it's relatively loose fitting which makes it comfortable to move around in - and that's the kind of deception I aim for in my twenties.



Outfit


  • Skirt: Thrifted this beauty for 17$ in Brooklyn at the Williamsburg Buffalo Exchange. It's originally from L'agence. Find it here if your name is Bill Gates: Skirt. I found a similar style to it here: Blue silk skirt 
  • Top: Denim Zara Top
  • Shoes: Got these at H+M from forever ago! Similar pair here: Chunky Boot and more affordable here: Lace up Boot


Overall I'm definitely looking forward for quarantine to be over so that I can go thrifting and create more outfits that are sustainably sourced and budget friendly. (And actually get to wear them places besides the grocery store!!)

Let me know which look was your favorite and what you'd be interested in seeing next time in the comments! 

Ciao x

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Love the overalls!!!! Looking cute while keeping warm in Canada is definitely a challenge, but you make it look effortless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love this!! Big fan of the minimal colors and ability to mix and match everything

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooof that empress skirt is POWER. First one gives me major, modern-day Rosie vibes. I love how resourceful you are with your current outfits. Minimal, but less is more. Get it, bb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looooove the looks and you!! Overalls are trรจs cute๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give these looks an overalls 3/3. ๐ŸŒˆ More bad puns coming your way xoxo ๐Ÿ’‹

    ReplyDelete

© Les filles les garcons : Queer style, tips, and advice
Blogger Templates by pipdig