Friday, May 29, 2020

3 Easy Masculine looks for Spring



Hey Babes-


Welcome to quarantine looks part II! I wanted to style some outfits that contrasted with my last post to show some more tomboy or masculine styles. Again, masculinity looks different on everyone but for me it means focusing on neutral colors to not distract the eye while building a silhouette that is more androgynous. As a queer woman I find dressing and presenting as androgynous very empowering because it allows you to encounter the world in a fresh way and present a different side of your personality. So without further ado, lets get into it!






Look 1: Everyday Vintage

For an on-the-go, stylish but easy look, I love an oversize tee and vintage denim. I find that the minimalist style is so versatile and just looks good on everyone. (Donatella Versace don't come for me!)


The straight leg cut of the jean helps to elongate your form and downplay any curves on your body, which creates a more boyish silhouette. The oversize t-shirt adds to this effect by drawing the eye down and making a box around your frame instead of hugging it. 




(My face here says these self timer pics better work out)





My goal with more boyish looks is never to hide my form but rather to create a shape that's flattering while de-emphasizing curves and body parts that are typically associated with being feminine. I also try to pick out clothes that still reflect my personal style despite them being from the men's section so that I still feel like myself. 





Outfit links:

Jeans: Thrifted at Buffalo exchange Williamsburg. These are the light-wash vintage Guess jeans of my dreams. Please bury me in them. You can find similar pairs on etsy
Shirt: From Cafe St Henri (For those of you who live in Montreal, buy local!)
Shoes: Vans (wouldn't recommend the white ones per se because they look cool for about thirty minutes before you spill coffee or something on them. Maybe you could wear them as a house shoe? If you're uncivilized like that?)
Existential dread: brought to you by the american economy






Outfit 2: All Black Everything

For a bit of a fancier look I went with a patterned button down blouse, black jeans, a flat-brimmed hat and patent leather oxfords. An all black outfit comes off as polished and pulled together and is a go to for me in any season. 









To make this look more formal, the accessories are everything. The leather oxfords and wool hat add texture in order to give a bit more personality in a monotone outfit. 

If you want your look to come off as more androgynous, I recommend choosing clothes that downplay any "feminine" parts of your body. For instance, I opt for a bralette or sports bras instead of an underwire one to minimize my chest when I want to appear more boyish. 

Pants: BDG (I've been buying this same pair of jeans since I was 16. I could sleep in them. They're not real denim but everyone has an exception)
Bra: Free people (Don't be fooled by how boho their shit is, I've had this bra since I was literally 17. Its indestructible and sexy as hell)
Top: Eva B Vintage
Shoes: Aldo
Zorro hat: Buffalo Exchange





Look 3: Big D*ke Energy



For a more sporty look, I chose a loose, low-rise pant with an oversize t-shirt and sneakers. Personally I'm not a huge fan of athleisure but this is probably the most comfortable combination of clothes that I own, and I like keeping people guessing if I'm about to head off on a hike or not. 









The neutral colors are super easy to pair and layer (ideal for capricious spring days). As for the fit, because the collar of this shirt falls right under my clavicle, it creates are more masculine silhouette by not drawing the eye down towards my chest. The mid rise of the pants is also important because high and low rise jeans typically accentuate the hips whereas mid rise neutralizes them, allowing you to show off your legs without accentuating any curves. 


Outfit links:

T shirt dress: Thrifted at Buffallo Exchange, originally from Adidas
Pants: Fairplay (mens joggers- got these on sale at Neon)
Shoes: Vans


Overall I think the biggest thing when you're changing your look to be more masculine (even if its outside of your comfort zone) is just to be more confident in your demeanor and body language. You could be dressed like Cammie Scott but if you come across with a strong presence and hold yourself with confidence, people will perceive you differently. 


Thanks for checking this out and I hope you enjoyed it and don't forget to let me know what you'd be interested in seeing next week! 

xo






SHARE:

2 comments

© Les filles les garcons : Queer style, tips, and advice
Blogger Templates by pipdig