Monday, June 15, 2020

Summer Vibes


Hey Babes-


So we blinked and its summer. For me, getting dressed in the morning is still one of my favorite daily rituals and it's how I feel normal in these whack-ass times. My intention for creating this blog is to share outfits that I feel bomb in as a queer woman. This week its all about playing around with the same colors to create different vibes that work with the hot weather.

 I'm a big fan of keeping my clothes monochrome in every season because it helps build a more cohesive wardrobe. This way you buy less clothes to create more outfits and can cement your own style; which is ultimately better for your confidence, wallet and the environment! In this post I'm featuring summer outfits in capsule wardrobe colors for looking nice during those twenty minutes before you're covered in sweat and melted sunscreen. If you don't have this problem are you even enjoying summer?


Outfit 1: Editorial







"Oh but you don't look gay...?"

"I do in this outfit honey."

I wanted to do a completely thrifted look that gave off polished gay grunge vibes. To do this I paired a classic white blouse with silky boxer shorts and layered a silver chain under the collar. Essentially I want to look like Kurt Cobain if he was styled by Alexa Chung. 

It can be intimidating to start building outfits that are bought only second hand, but if you live in Montreal I cannot recommend Cul-de-Sac enough for vintage blouses and denim. For the States, Buffalo Exchange has been my OG shopping spot since middle school (70% of my closet is from this magical place). Each city has its hidden gems for thrifting; the main joy of the experience is finding YOUR spot that speaks to your personal sense of style. 

A good blouse that makes you feel expensive is a closet essential and it's fun to wear something that normally translates as "business" in a street look. When hunting for the blouse of your dreams you have to check the fabric; no polyester, you want a breathable cotton or silk. I like to go for thicker fabric in blouses so that they're more durable. If you go a size up and wear oversize you can come across with a more boyish look, whereas if you pick a form fitting blouse it's more likely to be perceived as feminine. Play around with it and figure out what works best for your body. 

Mixing unusual parings can be hit or miss but that's the whole point of trying to find the style you feel the most comfortable in. Try something new. Mix a blouse with boxer shorts. Protest for Black Lives Matter. Demand radical government change. You do you. 


Outfit links:

Shirt: DKNY - you can find similar shirts to this at ANY thrift store! 
Shorts: Alexander Wang (Found on FB marketplace. Asos probably has similar styles)
Shoes: Doc Martens 1460 (These are a closet ESSENTIAL. That word just hits different these days, no?)
Chain necklace: Borrowed from my roommate. I'm a bad gay, I don't own my own chain yet </3



Outfit 2: Show me to the BAR






I used the same color scheme here with a white top and black shorts but switched out the pieces to create a more sporty-urban look. The shorts are a little bit longer to balance out the oversize t shirt. Shout-out to Vans for the most comfortable dyke ass shorts on the market. Run don't walk to find your perfect ones. 

 I was hesitant at first about the cross body bag/fanny pack trend because I associated it with '90s dad fashion but somehow the gays managed to appropriate it and pull it off. 


I would wear this to drink in the park or to work (same activity, different location) because its easy to move around in and still pretty damn cute. 


Links:
Shirt: Melodie Perrault 
Shorts: Vans
Cross body Bag: Little Burgundy



Outfit 3: Insta Baddie










I physically cannot take pics standing up in this outfit. 

These are the same boxer shorts I wore in the first look, but paired with a simple black crop top. Its easy and sleek. For me what makes the outfit is the accessories; a silver chain, watch, and a little contrast with white statement socks all help this look to stand out and make you look cool despite summer heat. (Yes I wrote that joke sober). 

Outfit links:
Shirt: Originally from Urban Outfitters. Size up! Love the thicker fabric.
Docs/Shorts: See above





Look 3: Atomic Blonde









This look is brought to you by my desire to emulate Charlize Theron. For a more "femme" look (again, we know clothes have no gender but bear with me) I picked some skin tight faux leather leggings, platform heels and a denim button down top. 

These leggings do a lot for me because they show off my whoooole damn ass so I paired it with a boxy denim top in order to balance my form out and minimize catcalling. Love that.

These platform boots by UNIF are everything. I can stomp all over the coronavirus AND racists in them. Everyone should have these, bury me in them, end of story. Also who doesn't need the confidence boost of being 6'2 in heels? I'm taking all the help I can get. 


Outfit links:
Leggings: Topshop
Denim top: Nasty Gal
Sunglasses: Stolen from my roommate (luh u Ramona)





Photography by the lovely Sam Francis 

Bing bam boom hope you guys enjoyed this and let me know what you think in the comments! 
xoxo

SHARE:

1 comment

© Les filles les garcons : Queer style, tips, and advice
Blogger Templates by pipdig